Bacon and Gruyere Steam Oven Sous Vide Egg Bites
These Starbucks inspired Sous Vide Egg Bites are a great make-ahead breakfast. A batch will keep all week in the fridge, ready to heat and eat or grab and go.
- 3 slices streaky bacon cooked and cut in half
- 6 eggs large
- 2 oz gruyere cheese about 2/3 cup lightly packed, or other Swiss-style cheese, grated
- 2 oz cream cheese just over 1/4 cup; use cottage cheese or cream as substitutes, or any combination of the three
Preheat your steam oven to 175°F/80°C, steam only setting. Put your jars (or mould, or dishes) into a pan.
Put one piece of bacon into each jar, pushing it down to the bottom.
Put the rest of the ingredients into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
Pour the egg mixture into the jars and screw the lids on tight enough to close but not as tight as you’re able – overtightening means the air pressure which forms during cooking can’t escape and the jars may break. If you’re using ramekins or bowls, cover each one with heat safe plastic wrap.
Cook the egg bites for 30 minutes, then remove from the oven and either serve or refrigerate immediately.
- You can cook these in small heatproof ramekins, bowls or even teacups, but I find it easiest to use very small (4oz/125ml) jars with lids because I can reheat and serve straight in the jar, and they keep very well in the fridge. If you have one, you could also use a silicone egg bites mould.
- Egg bites in lidded jars are pasteurized and vacuum sealed by this cooking method and will keep, unopened, for up to a week (though mine have never hung around more than a few days!). I don’t like to keep plastic-wrap covered ones as long, only up to 3-4 days, as they aren’t sealed.
- Reheat at the original cooking temperature for about 15 minutes, or pop them into a microwave for 1-2 minutes (take lids off if you’re microwaving in jars).
Calories: 180kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 192mg | Sodium: 197mg | Potassium: 103mg | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 458IU | Calcium: 130mg | Iron: 1mg