Maple Pork and Pears with Gorgonzola
A simple steam oven roast turned substantial salad, ready to rival any restaurant dinner you've had in recent memory.
- 12 oz pork tenderloin pork fillet, sinews and fat trimmed off
- 1 tbs dark soy sauce
- 1 tbs maple syrup
- 1 piece ginger about 1"/2.5cm, grated
- 3 pears cored and cut into eighths (no need to peel, though you could if you like)
- 4 cups salad greens about 4oz/120g, I use spinach and arugula/rocket
- 3 oz gorgonzola cheese cut or crumbled into small pieces
- 1 tbs olive oil
Preheat oven to 200⁰C/400⁰F, combination steam setting. If your oven has variable steam settings, use 30% humidity. If not, don't worry! Just set to combi steam at the correct temperature and the oven will figure out the humidity for you.
Mix the soy, maple and ginger in a small bowl, add the pork and turn to coat.
Lay the pork flat in a baking dish (I use the 2/3 sized solid stainless steel pan which came with my oven) and put the pears around it in a single layer. If there’s any marinade left in the pork bowl, pour this over the meat.
Cook until the pork is tender and juicy, approximately 12-15 minutes. If you have an instant-read thermometer, you want the center of the meat to be 145F/63C. Remove from oven.
Rest the pork for a few minutes while you put the salad together. Put the leaves onto a large platter and arrange the pears on top. Slice the pork into pieces approximately 6mm/¼” thick and lay these over the top. Pour any pan juices over the salad, scatter with the gorgonzola and serve immediately.
- Serves 2-3, can easily be doubled.
- I love the combination of pork with pears. They’re both relatively gentle in flavour, and their inherent sweetness and earthiness are a great match.
- The pork doesn’t need to be seared prior to cooking because we’re going to ‘cheat’ the browning process by coating it with dark soy sauce, which also adds a welcome salty depth. The soy marinade will serve as a sticky dressing for the final dish, too.
Calories: 616kcal | Carbohydrates: 52g | Protein: 47g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 142mg | Sodium: 1209mg | Potassium: 1266mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 32g | Vitamin A: 1300IU | Vitamin C: 30mg | Calcium: 280mg | Iron: 3mg