Banana Bread (no refined sugar)
Banana bread is a favorite for many people - try this healthier and really easy steam oven banana bread which contains no refined sugar, and you'll be able to enjoy it more often!
- 4 bananas medium, or 3 large, overripe ones work best
- 2 eggs large
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil or olive oil
- 1/4 cup milk almond or coconut milk work if you want a dairy free loaf
- 2 tbs clear honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C, combination steam setting. If your oven has variable humidity levels, use 50%. If not, don't worry! Just set to combi steam at the correct temperature and the oven will work out the humidity for you. Line your loaf tin with parchment paper to extend up over the sides.
For the dry mix
Put all the dry mix ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine. Pour in the wet mix and stir with a large spoon until it’s just mixed.
Scrape the batter into your lined tin and bake until it’s risen, golden and tests clean with a skewer, about 50 minutes. Allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a rack to cool completely. Serve in thick slices with butter or a smear of ricotta cheese.
- Banana bread will keep in a container at room temperature for a day or two after baking. After that I recommend freezing slices and defrosting as you need. Toasted with butter is my favourite way to serve.
- As mentioned above, this can be made dairy free by substituting almond or coconut milk for the regular milk.
- You’ll need a loaf tin measuring 23 x 13 x 7 cm (9 x 5 1/2 x 3 inches) for this recipe. This is the one I use, along with these loaf tin liners. They make it so easy to get a cake or quickbread into the oven. No mucking around with greasing, cutting baking paper and carefully lining your tin, just chuck one in and you’re done. They are also available in various round tin sizes, so if you’re like me you might want to stock up.
Calories: 254kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 33mg | Sodium: 143mg | Potassium: 297mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 88IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 44mg | Iron: 1mg