Soy and Ginger Chicken with Steamed Rice and Vegetables
Think of this as a master steam oven recipe. All the elements (meat, marinade, vegetables) can be changed to create a huge variety of fast and easy dinners using the same method.
- 1 1/2 cups 300g jasmine rice or other long grain rice
- 2 1/4 cups 560ml water
- 1/4 cup ketjap manis Indonesian sweet soy sauce
- 1/4 cup dark soy sauce
- 1 tbs sesame oil
- 1 thumb-sized piece of ginger peeled and grated
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 red chilli sliced (optional)
- 1 lb chicken tenderloins trimmed if necessary (I don’t usually bother)
- 4 scallions spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 red pepper deseeded and finely sliced
- 1 head broccoli a small head, broken into florets
Set your oven to 212⁰F/100⁰C, steam only (100% humidity).
Mix the rice and water in a shallow tray – I use the stainless steel one which came with my oven. Put it in the oven and set your timer for 7 minutes.
While the rice gets started, mix the sauces, sesame oil, ginger, garlic, chilli and chicken and spread it out in a second pan - I mix straight in the dish to save time and washing up. Scatter the vegetables evenly over the top of the chicken.
When the timer goes off for the rice, add the chicken and veg tray to the oven and set your timer for a further 12 minutes.
At the end of cooking, check to make sure your chicken is done and cook for another minute or two if it’s not. Fluff the rice with a fork, then serve the chicken and veg over the rice, with the sauce drizzled on top.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 600kcal | Carbohydrates: 88g | Protein: 38g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 80mg | Sodium: 1317mg | Potassium: 1192mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 16g | Vitamin A: 2145IU | Vitamin C: 194mg | Calcium: 117mg | Iron: 3mg